Drayton was one of the first substantial settlements on the Darling Downs. It was originally
named “The Springs” and was first settled in 1842. The nearby town of Toowoomba expanded
more rapidly and in the 1860′s the centre of population shifted to Toowoomba leaving Drayton as
a south-western suburb.
One of the oldest buildings in the area is the Royal Bulls Head Inn and was first constructed in
1847. Drayton has a number of homesteads and older-style Queenslander homes dating from
the 19th century and a substantial number of homes and commercial premises. More recently
a large number of detached homes and growing numbers of multi-unit dwellings have been
built, mostly targeted at students. Buyers looking for something a bit larger have the option of
purchasing acreage and rural properties in the area.
Drayton has a state primary school, local shops and is home to a number of students with the
University of Southern Queensland located in close proximity. There is also a retirement village,
bowls club and a park.